Groomsmen’s Ultimate Guide to Pocket Squares
Being one of the groomsmen can be a little bit stressful, since you’re expected to look neat and dapper all day. It is essential for every groomsman to pick the right outfit combination matching the colour scheme or theme of the wedding.
Having said that, it is important to realize that pocket squares are a staple item in every groomsmen’s outfit. In this article we will dive in the world of pocket squares to provide you with the gems of the information lying at the bedrock. Are you ready? Here we go!
What is a Pocket Square?
A pocket square is a silk fabric folded strategically and placed in the breast pocket of the jacket. Pocket squares are merely for aesthetical purposes only as they are used to spice any common suit & tie.
Pocket Squares vs. Handkerchiefs
Aesthetic vs. Purpose: Pocket squares are used to make an outfit more appealing and exciting, while handkerchiefs are used for its purpose such as wiping tears, sweat, food stains, or snot.
Silk vs. Cotton: Pocket squares are usually made of silk, satin, linen or light cotton fabric while a high-quality handkerchief is made of 100% cotton fabric.
Price Point: Pocket squares are deemed to be a tad bit fancier than handkerchiefs since it’s made of more premium fabric, while handkerchiefs are moderately-priced most of the time.
Size: Pocket square belongs in your jacket’s breast pocket while handkerchief belongs in your back or front pocket. The sizes of pocket squares are significantly smaller than that of a handkerchief since it must not create much bulk when folded.
Thickness: Since pocket squares are placed in smaller pockets it must be as thin as paper, while handkerchiefs needs to be durable and it’s not uncommon to see double-ply handkerchief.
How to Fold a Pocket Square (12 ways)
At this point, you must be thinking that folding a pocket square is a stressful, time-consuming, and elaborate task to do, right? Well, turns out, it’s not as complicated as we think. By following these steps you’ll be a pro-pocket square folder in no time:
This video comprehensively covers 12 ways to fold the most iconic pocket squares. However, in order to save your time and ensure that you don’t have to go to someone hat in hand asking for folding the pocket square for you, below we have listed 3 of the most famous pocket squares and guide to fold them. Cast a glance to add style to your dressing.
#1 – Classic/Presidential Fold
This fold is by far the simplest yet decent one and doesn’t take a lot of time and effort. You can use this fold for formal/ business events and add a never-ending decency to your elegant attire. No wonder why this fold is called the “Presidential Fold”. Mostly, a traditional white pocket square made of silk is employed for this fold.
How to fold the Presidential pocket square:
- Place the pocket square flat on a clean and levelled surface.
- Now, fold the fabric of pocket square in half.
- Again, fold one side up in accordance with the deepness of your jacket’s pocket so that it doesn’t fall inside or bulges out.
- Finally, place the folded pocket square carefully into the breast pocket of your jacket. It is suggested that about 1/4 of an inch should be visible.
#2 – One Tip Up Fold
This is another common yet popular way to fold the pocket square. As the term suggests, One Tip Up Fold involves a triangular fold with the tip of the triangle visible. The best thing about this one is that you can use this fold on a number of occasions whether formal or informal. For the best results, use a solid coloured pocket square but avoid using white.
How to fold One Tip Up pocket square:
- The first step is to lay the pocket square on a flat and clean surface.
- Fold one of the corners in such a way that you get two overlying triangles.
- Again, fold one side of the triangle in and repeat the same step on the opposite side.
- Lastly, tug the pocket square in the pocket of your jacket. Make sure there are no wrinkles and you are good to go.
#3 – The Casual Fold
Casual fold does not mean to tug the pocket square casually in your pocket and appreciate yourself for the creativity. It rather involves proper folding. The casual fold is also termed as the “Puff Fold” and works best with a casual and sleek attire. It is at its finest when a patterned or dotted fabric is used. However, this fold is best suited for informal events.
How to fold casual pocket square:
- You know the first step, right? Yes, lay the pocket square flat.
- Pinch the pocket square at the centre and pick it up.
- Now, slide the fabric through your other hand as illustrated in the image.
- At this step all you have to do is to flip it upside down.
- At last, simply tug the pocket square in the pocket. If it seems a bit messy, no worries because that is how it is supposed to look.
DOs and DON’Ts of Pocket Squares
Wearing a pocket square can make or break an outfit and it’s every groomsman’s responsibility to look stylish and put together, which is why we came up with the list of DOs and DON’Ts to avoid looking tacky.